As a parent, you are the most important role model for your child. Help your child develop proper brushing techniques by setting a good example with your own oral health.
- Brush at least twice a day with a pea-size amount of adult fluoride.
- Use a soft nylon bristle brush with a small compact head.
- Place the brush at a 45 degree angle to the tooth and use a gentle scrubbing technique.
- Brush the outer, the inner, and the biting surface of each tooth, including the part close to the gum line.
- Use the front tip of the brush for the inner surface of the front teeth.
- Encourage your child to brush for at lest 2 minutes each time they clean their teeth.
- Children under 7 will need help from and adult when cleaning their teeth.
- For babies wipe gums with a soft cloth or gauze from the pharmacy and water in areas where the teeth have not yet appeared.